- Directors: Ron Howard
- Producers: Brian Grazer, John Calley
- Writers: Screenplay, David Koepp, Akiva Goldsman, Novel, Dan Brown
- Genres: Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller
- Actors: Tom Hanks, Ayelet Zurer, Ewan McGregor
CERN summons Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) to investigate a murder victim branded with the Illuminati ambigram. Langdon discovers the secret society’s plan to kill four Roman Catholic cardinals and destroy St. Peter’s Basilica with stolen antimatter during a papal conclave.
- Directors: Steven Spielberg
- Producers: Kathleen Kennedy, Steven Spielberg, Barry Mendel, Colin Wilson
- Writers: Book, George Jonas, Screenplay, Tony Kushner, Eric Roth
- Genres: Drama, History, Thriller
- Actors: Eric Bana, Daniel Craig, Mathieu Kassovitz, Hanns Zischler, Geoffrey Rush, Ayelet Zurer, Michael Lonsdale, Mathieu Amalric, Gila Almagor, Moritz Bleibtreu
The film begins with a depiction of the events of the Munich Massacre in 1972. After the killings, the Israeli government devises “an eye for an eye” retaliation. A target list of eleven names is drawn up in retaliation for the eleven Israeli men murdered.
Avner, an Israeli-born Mossad agent of German descent, is chosen to lead the assassination squad because he is not well-known in the field and he knows his way around Europe. To give the Israeli government plausible deniability, Avner officially resigns from Mossad, and the squad operates with no official ties to Mossad or the Government of Israel. Avner is given a team of four men: Steve, a South African driver; Hans, a document forger from Frankfurt; Robert, a Belgian toy-maker trained in defusing explosives; and Carl, a former Israeli soldier who “cleans up” after the assassinations. Since the Mossad is “not connected” to the mission, Avner and his team set about tracking down the eleven targets with the help of an informant, Louis, who is introduced to Avner by an old friend.
The group go to Rome to track down and shoot their first target, Abdel Wael Zwaiter, who is broke and living as a poet in Italy where he has translated One Thousand and One Nights into Italian. The group follows him, from a speech he gave to a small audience, to his apartment building. After confirming the poet is indeed Abdel Wael Zwaiter (by asking him), two members of the nervous squad (Avner & Robert) make their first kill.
A postscript states that nine of the men originally targeted by Mossad were assassinated. It adds that Salameh was eventually killed in 1979.